Saturday 6 June 2009

The Veggie Patch Lives!!

Well, after being here for 6 years, I've finally started to do something with the garden.

Up until now, we've just tidied up the shrubs and bushes as they've grown wild (well, hacked away at them really) picked the apples from the two apple trees, and the very small grapes from the vines outside the back door. Not exactly what you could call gardening.

I've toyed with the idea of a veggie patch for a few years, but never managed to get off my bum and do anything about it ...... until now!

Thanks to my wonderful, and very handy hubby, I'm now the proud owner of two raised veggie beds, complete with chicken wire fencing around the outside to stop the dog from digging everything up (he's not called Digger for nothing :) ) Over the past few weeks, I've planted Runner Beans, Broad Beans and Peas in one bed, and Radishes, Beetroot, Courgette, Lettuce, Carrot, Parsnip and Cabbage in the other bed. I've also got some potatoes in an old compost bag, which is now full and waiting for flowers.

So far, the only harvests I've had are the Radishes, where we've been eating the thinnings. They may only be small, but they don't half pack a punch! I gave some to Nanny this week, and she loved them!

I've also been growing lots of extra plants for the school Inflatable Day next weekend, so the greenhouse is packed at the moment. Once I've got those out I'll have some more room for our own stuff.

But I've not been sitting on my hands today - I've been out and planted up my herb container which is just outside the back door. At the moment, it's got Basil, Chives and Mint, but there's still room for another couple of herbs, so I'll probably get some Parsley and Rosemary this week. The Dill I sowed a few weeks ago is doing fairly well, as is the parsley, but nowhere near ready for putting into the container, and I'm not known for my patience!

I've also sown some more parsnips and carrots into a container, so we'll see what becomes of those, and put some more potatoes on the windowsill to finish chitting before planting them in the huge compost bag I have waiting for them. I'm hoping to get some more planting done tomorrow, if the rain stays away. Then I just need to work on Ian to buy some plug plants :)

Back indoors, I've joined The Grapevine, the members forum on the Grow Your Own website. I've not had a chance to have a proper look around yet, but it looks like it's going to be a treasure trove of information. And, I've started this blog!

I wish I'd started growing veggies years ago - it's so theraputic, and I get a warm fuzzy feeling seeing the seeds I've sown become yummy veggies to feed the family!

1 comment:

  1. I'm new to this, too! Like you, I have a wonderful handy hubby who put in some raised beds for me.

    Fun, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete